Getting your provisional licence

Getting your provisional licence

Before you can start riding a motorbike on the road you’ll need either a full valid car licence or a provisional licence, which currently costs £50. You’ll also need to complete a compulsory basic training course (CBT): find out more about this on the CBT page.

The quickest way to apply for your provisional licence is online at GOV.UK. You’ll need a debit or credit card, proof of your identity (such as your passport) and your address details for the last three years.

You can also apply using a D1 form, which you can get from any post office. Find out more about applying by post at GOV.UK.

You can apply up to three months before you can start riding (e.g. 3 months before your 16th birthday if you want to ride a moped).

If you are new to riding, you cannot ride on the road until you’ve passed your CBT.