Professional development for motorbike trainers

Professional development for motorbike trainers

Continuing professional development (CPD) is an important part of being a motorbike trainer. The skills and knowledge you’ll need to teach your pupils change over time, as do the motorcycle tests and the way riding is taught. To give your pupils the best chance of becoming safe and responsible riders and passing their tests, you’ll need to keep your skills and knowledge up to date. It’s also important to show your pupils that you’re still improving your skills: no one ever really finishes learning to ride.

There are different levels of qualification for motorbike trainers so you can build up your qualifications over time. See the Becoming a trainer section for more information.

Client-centred learning is an approach that’s being used increasingly in the riding tuition industry. It’s a way of teaching that puts the focus on the learner, as these core principles show.

  • Actively listen to what your pupils are trying to tell you about what’s getting in the way of their learning so you’ll be well-equipped to help them achieve their learning goals.
  • Don’t hide behind a façade, patronise your pupils or pretend to be something you’re not. Your pupils will be much more likely to be willing to listen to you, and share their problems, if you’re ‘real’.
  • Show them you trust that they’re trying to be constructive and find solutions. Your pupils will be much more likely to take your advice and guidance if you accept and respect who they are.

You may already be following these principles at least some of the time. The more you use this approach, the more effective your instruction is likely to be. There are lots of different techniques for managing learning in a client-centred way: this is an area you could explore in your professional development.

As part of your CPD you can take a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) special test, which will test your skills to the highest standards and demonstrate your commitment to CPD. This test is only available to fully qualified instructors and includes a test of your general riding skills and manoeuvres.

To be able to take the test, you must be one of the following:

  • a Cardington-assessed compulsory basic training (CBT) instructor
  • a direct access scheme trainer
  • a registered post-test motorcycle trainer (RPMT).

Find out more about the special test for instructors on GOV.UK.

An approved training body (ATB) can provide

  • CBT for learner riders
  • direct access scheme training to riders learning to ride a large motorbike.

The training must be given by instructors who’ve been certified by DVSA and who work for your ATB. The site you use to provide training must also be approved by DVSA.

Find out how to set up and run an approved training body on GOV.UK.

There’s more information about running your own business on the next page in this section.