Updating and checking motorbike details

Updating and checking motorbike details

Use these links to GOV.UK to keep details about your motorbike up to date: if you don’t update them when necessary, you could be breaking the law. You can also use GOV.UK to check a vehicle’s details such as its past MOT tests and whether it has a vehicle identity check (VIC) marker.

There’s advice on GOV.UK about buying a second-hand car which you might find helpful to make sure a bike hasn’t been stolen.

If you know the make of a vehicle and its registration number, you can use the DVLA vehicle online service to find out

  • when its current vehicle tax is due to expire
  • the date that a statutory off-road notification (SORN) expires
  • the date it was first registered
  • colour
  • engine size
  • year of manufacture
  • CO2 emissions
  • current vehicle tax rate.

Follow this guide to report your motorbike stolen and claim a vehicle tax refund.

The fee for the annual MOT test depends on the class of vehicle. See GOV.UK for a full list of MOT test fees.

You can also check a vehicle’s MOT test history and its current MOT test status on GOV.UK.

If a motorbike is written off by an insurance company, the insurer will tell DVLA so a ‘VIC marker’ (vehicle identity check marker) can be put on the vehicle record.

Find out more about the vehicle identity check at GOV.UK.

You can apply for a vehicle identity check: if the motorbike passes the check, you’ll be able to tax it.

If you’re getting a vehicle identity check done, you can find your nearest VIC site on GOV.UK.